Friday, February 6, 2009

For Posterity's Sake: Week in Review 5


Sunday, we were able to pack the snow surrounding us and create a little playground in our backyard. After we built a family of snowmen (complete with their own dog, which Audrey tried to ride), Jason focused his efforts to creating a tunnel through which Audrey could crawl (actually, Daddy could, too). I took a moment to lay down in the snow and enjoy the sunlight heavy on my closed eyelids - a brief reminder that warmer weather is on its way. Above me, I heard a plane fly by and could imagine its passengers on their way to Fiji, and me with them. Until, I felt the snowballs headed my way.

After another temperature drop, the remainder of this week has been spent mostly in quiet moments: watching movies and reading books on the couch or coloring at the table as we wait for our sinuses to settle down and our energy to return. But there have been some moments of liveliness: a game of chase where Audrey tried to catch me and lick my face (I have no idea what this was about other than her giggles at my grossed-out reaction); requests for the ABC song; and lots of dancing (mostly me holding her as I swayed in the kitchen, once looking down to find she had fallen asleep).

This week, Audrey has a new favorite song, a new favorite medicine, and a new catch-phrase. Every day she has requested the "ooh-ooh" song, which for those of you not in the know, is Sugarland's "All I Want to Do," which has a chorus of "ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh." This is the first song (other than the ABC song) that she has tried to sing along with and from time to time yells out certain words, like "anyway." I have been able to get Audrey to do just about anything I ask this week, as long as there is a promise of some Baby Vicks being rubbed on her afterward. I rub some on her chest, then she requests that some be put on her belly. After I put the cap back on the container, she says, "more Vicks, please." And, my favorite story of the week, involving her newly-honed catch-phrase:

The snow suits have come out several times in the last week and a half. On Wednesday, I started to bundle up in mine to take the trash out (yes, I'm that big of a wuss that I put my snowsuit on just to walk the garbage down the driveway). I opened the garage door to put on my boots and I hear Audrey (who has watched this whole procedure and probably thinks I'm about to do something like shovel the drive) yell, "Fareful, Mama!" Translation: Careful, Mama! I don't think a day has gone by since where she hasn't asked one of us to be careful. Hmm....wonder what word I use a lot?

We're looking forward to the weather warm up this weekend. We hope you have a great weekend wherever you are. And whatever you do, remember, be careful.




No comments:

Post a Comment