Sunday, February 7, 2010

For Posterity's Sake: Week in Review 56

What can I say about last week? Last week was not a time for note taking (at least not notes related to nonmedical issues). So I have no anecdotes for you. What I do have is the good fortune of two healthy, vibrant children, who have been doing the following over the last week:

Audrey has begun referring to herself in third person: "Audrey wants donuts," "Audrey does." She is also quite the storyteller (and much better at writing dialogue than her mother). We walked down the street on Friday. We passed a neighbor playing basketball. She created a short story about the situation before we made it to the next house. It went a little like this:

Audrey: Why is he playing basketball?
Me: I don't know. I guess he just wanted to play.
Audrey: I think he asked his Mom if he could play. She said no but he came out anyway because he wanted to. Now he's in trouble.

Every time Audrey and I spend time apart (after preschool, for instance), she gives me a full report of things as she sees them when she comes home. It goes something like this:

She returns from preschool. She tells me who got mad at who and why, peppered by several, "then he said, they she said, then the teacher said." (Yes, I can only imagine what form these stories will take in middle school - and I'm sure by high school I will be wishing she would tell me something, anything, with any sort of dialogue tag attached).

Nathan does not have his sister's gift for narrative yet. But he has also expanded his methods of expression this week. In smiles! Smiles!! New, huge, open-mouthed smiles. Those little smiles? They have been the best medicine this week. Much, much needed good medicine. Oh, the privileged life we lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment