Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Secret Gardens




Continuing to take in the unseasonable warmth and sun we've been blessed with this week led to an outdoor project yesterday. We received our "Purple Royalty Garden" bulb package (a token of appreciation for a small donation) from the Arbor Day Foundation this week. So yesterday, armed with spade, garden soil, and 35 bulbs [a mix of Ruby Giant Crocus, Purple Prince Tulips, and Chionodoxa forbessili (Glory for the Snow) - and a mix of 5 red tulip bulbs I couldn't help but buy at a farmer's market on Saturday] we got down and dirty.


Audrey dropped in and covered a few bulbs before becoming distracted by berry picking, worm hunting, and random hole digging (holes that I later threw bulbs into - our front flower beds might look a little hap-hazard come spring) - all fine pursuits for a warm November day.



As a child, crocuses were my favorite flowers to see cresting the surface of the ground come spring. The rising of their purple flowers, petite but strong so early in the season, served as a sign of the warmer weather and outside adventures to come. Tulips remind me of my best friend. I couldn't help but feel a little giddy as I planted them, as if I were tucking away a little secret to sustain me during the cold months ahead - a little dormant promise of the vibrant days to come. It's almost enough to make a girl run out and buy all the bulk bulbs she can find with which to litter the backyard, not that anyone is getting any, ahem, ideas.



1 comment:

  1. Crocuses make everyone smile! I can't wait to see what the spring brings for you! Congrats on getting in the ground, I couldn't have done it when I was as pg. If you are a big fan of tulips, remind me to have you come by when ours are in bloom. They are my new favorite flower too. I used to be a rose girl, but Tulips make me much happier!

    ReplyDelete