Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Clowning Around


Audrey left this afternoon for a sleepover at Grammy's, which bought mama the few extra moments she needed to put the finishing touches on one more costume for the dress-up trunk I'm hoping to have ready for her birthday this fall. The straps were sewn on these clown pants about an hour ago. The fabric has been waiting in a stash for decades. I recall buying the fabric for a dollar or so as a teenager. I was reintroduced to it when my mom had me go through a pile of fabric in her basement to see if I wanted to take anything home with me. When I saw it, I wasn't sure what it would become, but I knew it could be a costume. Then I ran across the clown pattern in Deborah House's Quick Costumes for Kids, and something called out that this was what that blue fabric was meant to become. I mean, look at it. What else are you going to do with white-polka-dotted blue polyester? (Let's not even ask what I was thinking when I bought it, shall we?) Ironically, the pattern in House's book asks you to cut out your own polka dots and adhere them to the fabric. Ahem, no need there. See, this clown suit has me laughing already. All I need is a red rubber nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment