Thursday, October 1, 2009

Enjoying the Harvest


Other than slicing up an apple or two for lunch, I really didn't think we'd break into our orchard stash this week. It's not that I haven't wanted to, it's just that basement renovations and little sisters visiting from California happen on a certain timetable. Apples in cold storage can wait.



But then we went to the library where, en route to snagging a Where's Waldo book, we passed another picture book propped up on display entitled, The Apple Pie Tree. I picked it up, quickly scanned the pages, and flipped to the back where the author, Zoe Hall, had included her recipe for apple pie. I'm telling you, it was a sign. Or at least the little nudge I needed.





Tonight, we let things slide. We forgot about fixing dinner and rolled out dough, instead. We ate leftovers and Audrey used the smidge of leftover pie dough (trimmed from the edge of the pie plate) to make this mini rustic dessert. It came out of the oven just as we finished dinner and the rain and lightening began rolling in. Audrey capped off her night with a little bit of sugar and a past-due bedtime. But sometimes, you just have to give in to the apples.

Next week, I will write about other things. I promise. Maybe.















No comments:

Post a Comment