Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Heart Chocolate


I have volunteered to make cookies for 75 people on Monday night. Of course, volunteering and actually thinking about what your offer means are two different things. When it comes to thinking about providing cookies for 75 hungry people, well, that can make a girl nervous.



How do you combat your nerves? Make the batter in advance. You know, give yourself a false sense of confidence. Today we grabbed aprons, mixing bowls, measuring cups and got down to business. First, we began with a batch of Snickerdoodle dough (one of my favorites and my cookie default setting, if my brain is wired with dessert default settings).



That dough finished and snug in freezer, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and experiment. Every time we go to a bakery or snag a cookie from a cafe, Jason and I always pick Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (or Chocolate Chocolate Chip, if you prefer). Yet, we've never attempted to make them at home. Until today.



We used this recipe to whip up our batter. The recipe makes it sound as if they mix the batter by hand, but I used an electric mixer. I have nothing against mixing by hand, but when I'm baking with my little one, I opt for the electric mixer. I take the wet ingredients while she combines the dry. If I spend too much time on my part, and I would if I mixed by hand, I'm liable to end up fishing crayons out of the dry ingredient mixture (you think I'm kidding). The electric mixer worked just fine. Of course, this batter didn't go straight into the freezer. You didn't expect me to serve a bunch of innocent kids and their parents cookies without trying them first, did you? In the words of my two-and-a-half-year-old food critic, "they're yummy." Chewy, rich (of course, with 2 cups of different kinds of sugar, 2 sticks of butter, cocoa powder and chocolate chips, did we expect anything less?), and slightly gooey, grab a glass of milk to drink with these. You'll need one.


No comments:

Post a Comment