Monday, July 13, 2009

Getting My Party On - Domestic Goddess-Style


This weekend I attended a sewing party. Yes, such things exist. Well, at least one did this weekend. My sister, a second-grade teacher, had a large project to complete for her classroom before school starts in the fall. My mother, who knows a good socializing opportunity when she sees one, offered to get this project started (and finished, for that matter) by hosting a sewing party.



Five of us gathered, sewing machines in hand, to sit, socialize, and sew (we had to do a little work, after all).

Of course, no party would be complete without a smorgasbord of food - complete with desserts, but you'll have to take my word on those, they were nearly gone by the time I got the camera out (trust me, it's better this way, seeing those pies would have made you sad not to be there).



But the best thing about a sewing party may be seeing a finished project in the end. In our case, we had these cute chair covers to show for the hours spent sitting and chatting. (Disclaimer: I must have been high on key lime pie when I took these pictures. I slid the chair cover on backwards. The pocket should actually face the back - you'll have to use your imagination).


We managed to make 46 of these (I think that was the final count) in one day. Each student in my sister's class (as well as another teacher's) will have one in which to store notebooks, books, etc. while their chairs are pushed into tables with no other storage available. Pretty crafty, efficient, and fun. Just like a sewing party.




No comments:

Post a Comment