Friday, May 22, 2009

For Posterity's Sake: Week in Review 20

Expressing Herself, or Out of the Mouths of Babes: Part 2:

On Sunday, we were at my parents' house for a family get-together. My Mom had just pulled up in the car, freshly washed by my Father, after driving through a water puddle that had splashed up the sides. Audrey overheard her telling my Dad that she had just gotten the car dirty. Audrey spent the rest of the day berating my Mom, shaking a finger at her and saying, "You can't drive. You got water on it."

On Monday, Audrey and I were playing with her etch n' sketch. I would draw a shape and ask Audrey what it was. I drew a star. She said, "star." I drew a heart. She said, "heart." I drew a circle. She said, "poop." (I think she's been checking out Emmy's potty a little too closely.)

Audrey went outside with Jason on Tuesday night while he watered some plants. She was playing around some of the plants when she suddenly said, "I'm sorry, Daddy. Don't ground me, ok?" (We still don't know where she heard the expression "ground me" or what she thought she was doing that was so groundable.)

Later that night while eating dinner, Audrey farted. Jason said, "What do you say when you toot?" Audrey said, "Woohoo!" (We were going for "excuse me.")

Wednesday, while running through sprinklers Jason had turned on, she looked at him and said, "Daddy, it's just so cold." (This, of course, didn't stop her from running through them again).

Today, I was talking to Jason as the two of us got ready to go out for dinner. I was in the bathroom, Jason was in the bedroom, and Audrey was going back and forth. I was midsentence when she walked into the bathroom and shut the door, leaving Jason on the other side. I said, "Don't shut Daddy out. I was talking to him." She turned to face me and said, "He doesn't need to talk for you."

And, as I have been writing this, Jason has been wrestling with our eleven-pound dog on the floor, to Audrey's shouts of "No, Emmy! Don't eat Daddy, Emmy!"

Have a wonderful three day weekend, and take a little time to express yourself. You just might make someone laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment