Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Supermarket Sweep


I have a confession: I bought the wrong yogurt. We tend to buy yogurt by the quart. Vanilla. Even if recipes call for plain, I get vanilla. I guess I'm just not a plain kinda girl. Last week, the entire family was out on a grocery run. Our list was long and Audrey's patience was short. We had approached the store divide-and-conquer style, but even so, we were pressing our limits (and those of the flimsy shopping cart seat buckle). I was rounding the final corner before the check-out lane, the yogurt case my final destination. I had a $1 off coupon. I was too excited to pass that deal up, tired husband and whining child or not. I ran. I grabbed. We checked out.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized my mistake. I opened the container, daydreaming about sprinkling some apple cinnamon granola over a bowlful, when I noticed that it didn't look quite right. I read the package: plain. Arrgghh. I tried it anyway. I forced myself to finish the bowl. Then I began searching for ways to use up the container without having to take an uncooked biteful again. Some went into a corn muffin recipe that I spread over the top of a Tex-Mex dish. Then I discovered this recipe for Apple and Maple Yogurt Cake.



This morning, as Audrey got creative with the discarded apple peel, I quickly mixed up the cake batter. I didn't have the maple sugar the recipe called for, so I used Clotilde's suggested substitution of maple syrup. The cake turned our pretty and moist. But the bites of cake without apple tasted like they needed just a little something (of course, I don't know if using maple sugar would have changed this). Regardless, I'm one recipe closer to an empty yogurt container.
I guess the moral goes something like this: When life throws you plain yogurt, just make Apple Maple Cake - and maybe, toss a splash of rum in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment