Friday, April 10, 2009

For Posterity's Sake: Week in Review 14



When I was a kid, my favorite toys were cardboard boxes and discarded wrapping paper tubes. Apparently, we didn't have any of these big black tubs laying around. Yesterday, while planting, Jason threw the empty tree containers into our resting garden. Between shovelfuls, I looked to find Audrey in the garden creating a makeshift playground of sorts.



Of course, with all play must come some rest. Audrey found a new spot for that, too. This is one of the circles Jason cut out of the yard to start digging a new home for one of the trees. (Also temporarily discarded in the garden).




Speaking of rest and new toys, on Wednesday, Audrey received a very special package in the mail filled with two blankets and a pillow the perfect size for her dolls and stuffed animals. Of course, before putting her dolls to bed, she had to give her new treasures a trial run. Already much loved, I know these will be favorites for a long time to come. (Thanks, Pat)!

Between preparing for Easter and landscaping part of the yard, this week has been a busy one. But it is also one of surprising simplicity - taking joy in the creativity of simple toys and found objects and Audrey's latest simple but sweet expressions.

On Monday, she kissed Emmy (our dog) on the back, looked at Jason and said, "I love Emmy."

On Tuesday, after being handed a few sheets of paper and crayons she said, "Oh thank you. Thank you so much." I had to do a double take to make sure she hadn't turned 25 before my eyes.

Today, while playing with her Legos, Audrey picked up a long yellow one. She told me it was Jesus. After tromping "Jesus" around the other Legos for a minute she looked at me and said, "Jesus loves Audrey."

I suppose that is the perfect episode to end on and wish you all a Happy Easter. But I would be remiss to give the impression that everything said and done here is simple and sweet. As I've been writing this post, Audrey has been sitting next to me with her etch 'n sketch, requesting that I pause from time-to-time and draw her a picture. Most often she asks that I draw animals: seahorses, giraffes, and fish. But just now, she pointed the magnetic pen in my direction and said, "Mama, draw Emmy treats and poop." Ahem, guess she really does love all things Emmy.

Wishing you a weekend of simple pleasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment