Monday, October 18, 2010

For Posterity's Sake: Week in Review 91


I didn't write anything down last week. No cute antidotes. No funny lines. Instead, I spent each minute hanging out with family, or chasing little ones, or going about the minute details of our day without taking those little breaks to capture the moments as they come. So, come Tuesday, I can only share flashes: how Jason said "Good morning, sunshine" and Audrey ran to look out the window because, being a pancake, naturally, he would only be talking to the sun outdoors; that "bolution [solution]" has become a common word thrown about our house as we teach her about problem solving; and that Jason got the third degree concerning who he was with one afternoon when he called to say he was coming home and referred to himself and Audrey as "we" and she misunderstood.

So, since I have such scant offerings for last week, I decided to let Audrey tell you a little about herself in her own words. From an interview at the dinner table last night:

Mama: What is your favorite thing to eat?
Audrey: Oranges

M: What is your favorite thing to do?
A: Kick a pickle to a hogs. That's kind of tricky for you. (Kick a pickle to a hogs is a paraphrasing of sorts from the book Silly Tilly).

M: What is your favorite animal?
A: Horseys, I think. And Piggies.

M: What is your favorite thing about being a part of this family?
A: Putting the napkins out and the drinks out and the forks out and the candle out (I think she means blowing the candle out).

M: What is your favorite book?
A: The Fancy Nancy book at church (it has stickers that you put on the pages).

M: What is your favorite drink?
A: Daddy's water (Propel, Mama's water - tap - is too boring).

M: What do you want to do when you're older?
A: I want to do the oven and the toys and the refrigerator.

M: What's your favorite thing about Daddy?
A: For him to throw a pickle to a hogs just like I do.
M: What do you really like about Daddy?
A: His nose. And mouth. And feet. And his eyes because they're blue. And his eyebrows and his ears. And he's so ticklish to tickle.

M: What is your favorite thing about Mama?
A: About you? Your fingers.
M: Why do you like my fingers?
A: Because look at this (points to my wedding ring). That's why I like your fingers. Did Dad give you that?
M: Yes.
A: Was I correct?
M: Yes.

M: What is your favorite thing about Nathan?
A: (Leaves to go check him out). I like his neck and his hands. And his nose.

M: What is your favorite thing about Emmy?
A: Her tail.
M: Why?
A: Because it's really pully and Nate can even pull it. (Which is why the children are not Emmy's favorite things).

M: What is your favorite thing to celebrate?
A: Presents and toys and some books. I thought you were asking what I wanted for my party.

M: What is your favorite holiday?
A: Christmas.
M: Why?
A: Because it's snowing and we can build stuff and we don't have to do it with sticks anymore. And Halloween.
M: Why?
A: Because it's fun and we can get more candy.

M: What is your favorite candy?
A: Dad's favorite and suckers. What is Dad's favorite? Dad, what's your favorite?
Daddy: I like Tootsie Rolls.
A: Tootsie Rolls? That's what I was talking about and I like suckers and dots.

M: What are you really good at?
A: Doing sports and putting candles in the water for fishies on a plate. (I have no idea what that means).
M: Anything else you're good at?
A: Yes. And at being brave. And at giving butterfly kisses.

M: If you could have a super power, what would it be?
A: It would be (begins jumping around the room spinning and flexing and making fighting poses).
M: Would it be to be super strong?
A: Yes.

D: What is your favorite thing about football?
A: Kicking the football.
D: What's your favorite thing about watching football?
A: Just watching it.

D: What's your favorite thing about dinner?
A: Mom is asking me the things. Mom, are you still asking me things?

M: What is your favorite thing about dinner?
A: Eating.

M: Is there anything else we should know about you?
A: My nose.
M: What about your nose?
A: That boogers come out and we can't eat it.

As for Nathan, he's not much of a talker unless his big sister isn't around. He likes to spend his time cutting teeth and is never happier than when hanging upside down. He's a snuggling extraordinaire and enjoys dining on fine pureed cuisine. His favorite pastime is outcrawling his parents and they chase him with clean diapers. He can't wait until his diapers are a thing of the past, oh wait, that's us.

Here's to little ones and the moments they make so special, the ones we catch and the ones we forget to write down. And to noses. Apparently, Audrey likes them. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment