Thursday, November 5, 2009

Table Talk


Tonight was the first meeting of my mom's group book club. It seemed like the perfect excuse to celebrate with a pumpkin cheesecake. Of course, my cheesecake ended up with a huge crack down the middle, aka the reason behind the invention of whipped cream. Ta-da...



We discussed The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. As I read, I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a work of fiction. Regardless of how I felt I connected or did not with the family in the book, there were lessons to be gleaned and some facts of which it is always good to be reminded. Our children need so little from us to grow up to be capable, strong, loving adults.
Those things which they need the most are free. And no matter what our childhood circumstances, everyone has a choice to become whoever they like.
A pumpkin cheesecake + cups of hot chocolate + a thought-provoking book + a table of fun, intelligent women (and one kind husband hidden away upstairs entertaining the three-year-old who adores him) = an evening well-spent and one happy, lucky mama.
*Sorry for the lack of space breaks, for some reason I can't get them to work tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment