Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sneak Preview


As much as I try to stay in the moment so as not to waste this gift of time with Audrey, especially since our days of unlimited one-on-one time are numbered, I can't help but find my mind (and hands) wandering forward as I make to-do lists of pre-baby projects. This weekend, over kitchen-table conversation with Jason and a high school friend, one such project got crossed off my list. It's the Sweetheart Pullover from Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas' Knitting for Baby, made from Lion Brand's Fisherman's Wool in Nature's Brown.


It's meant to be the major (or possibly, only) handmade gift tucked under the Christmas tree for our newest sweetheart after he arrives. As I rub my hands over the nubby wool, I can't help but wonder if I've finally managed to knit a garment too small. I am reminded of Jason pulling up in front of a store on our way home from the hospital so I could run in to buy preemie clothes, Audrey (at full term) being smaller than we had even imagined. But the bigger surprise was how someone so tiny and new could grow to color my every perception.


It will be months before I know if this new sweater will fit. But today, it serves as a little reminder of the one on his way, who will add his own hues to my perception. And, how lucky I am to have his big sister, who upon finding the sweater this morning yelled, "Good job, Mom! Good job making it, Mom. I'm going to hold it so it doesn't get dirty." Just gotta love almost-three-year-olds. Now to get started on her sweater...

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that is so, so adorable! It's so tiny that I can imagine your little baby boy in it!

    ReplyDelete