Friday, July 17, 2009

For Posterity's Sake: Week in Review: 28

This has been an interesting week in labels. When Audrey asks me my name, I tend to tell her it's "mama", just because I'm afraid of having a toddler who calls me "Kristin" all the time. Well, she must have picked up on Jason calling me "Kris". Apparently, Tuesday morning I did not come to her room quickly enough. Suddenly, I heard the baby gate that blocks her door rattling and her yelling, "Kris! Kris! I need to go potty!"

Audrey has also been really focused on pointing out who is a man and who is a woman. (Of course, she calls every man a "big man" and every woman a "big woman", as opposed to a "little boy" or "little girl." This led to a little explanation on my part in Target this week as she says, "Look. It's a big woman," in regard to an employee retagging items on a shelf. The woman was maybe a size 6.) So I suppose it should not have caught us off-guard when she looked at her Dad on Tuesday night and said, "I love you, man."

Apparently, Audrey doesn't discriminate when it comes to talking about size. She also notices when she's the bigger woman. Thursday night I was letting her watch a cartoon while I finished dinner. The main character asked, "Are you coming to my sleepover?"

Audrey said, "No, I'm too big."


Thursday morning Audrey slept in. It was nine '0 clock before she woke up. When I went to get her out of bed she said, "It's too early." Of course, when I offered to let her sleep a little longer, she declined.


Today she told me she wanted to eat at Chick-fil-a. I told her that we had food at home and were eating there. "Chick-fil-a is closed?" she asked.

"It's closed for us today," I said.

"Can Jesus open it?" she asked.

I laughed. "If anyone can open it when it's closed, it's Jesus, honey. But we're still eating at home."


One of the sweetest expressions Audrey has begun to use this week is "Can I have you?" She says this when she wants to crawl into my lap (usually when I'm in the middle of some project) or wants me to pick her up.


The other sweet thing we've had a lot of are serenades. Audrey's favorite songs to sing are the chorus of "Stop in the Name of Love" (taught to her by her Dad, complete with hand motions) and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" sung as:

"Tinkle Tinkle Little Star. I know what you are."

I think that there is something very special about two-and-a-half-year-olds. Something that allows them to know what stars and other things are before we go about telling them what they should think and of what everything is made. Part of them that does not know that there are words to which others may take offense (even when used honestly). Part of them that knows nothing is impossible. Someone is always able to open a door for them, and sometimes, the best way to get someone's love or attention is simply to ask. And when all else fails, it never hurts to sing.

Wishing you a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment