Monday, January 19, 2009

Hello Sweet Goodness

After letting her know there was some interest on my blog, my very generous neighbor, Julie, said I could post her recipe for Banana Oatmeal Cookies. We love these at my house, and if I think about how the sugar and butter are spread out over a lot of cookies, then I feel pretty good that I'm sneaking in some fruit and oats while my little one thinks she's just getting dessert. So without further ado, here is the recipe:

Grandma Ruth's Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 c. flour*
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 c. shortening**
1 egg, well beaten
1 c. (3 medium) mashed bananas
1 3/4 c. oats

Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in shortening.*** Add egg, bananas, and rolled oats. Mix well. Drop by teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake on 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.****

Kristin's baking footnotes:
* For an extra added kick of whole grains, I sometimes substitute 1/2 c. of the all-purpose flour for white whole wheat flour.
** I use butter.
*** I don't own a pastry cutter. To "cut" my butter into the cookies, I cut it up into small pieces and then use a whisk mortar and pestle style to pound on the butter pieces until the batter has a grainy texture.
**** The timing all depends on your oven. I start checking my cookies around 9 minutes. I think last time I made these I cooked them for 10 minutes.


Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment